• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:42 PM

With all the recent uproar in copyright infringements recently with community sites, and P2L (We busted 2 exact rips of P2L and TS this month alone), I thought a little truth and rumor control would be refreshing for the would-be rippers, as well as those not so sure how online copyright works.

Before we begin, I would like to clear up a myth that I actually encountered last week. Someone had ripped off the template for tutorialseek.com and claimed that he could "because the site didn't have a copyright line at the bottom"

I hate to break it to you, but you don't have to. Any work created by someone is AUTOMATICALLY intellectual property and is copyright, whether that little "2004 Copyright Pixel2life.com" is there or not. If you didn't make it, it's copyright, and by using it as your own, you are doing something illegal.

Now, on to the article :P

Seven Online Copyright Myths
By Judith Kallos

Possunt quia posse videntur ~ (Latin: They can because they think they can.)

One of the most misunderstood issues online has to do with copyright. Both with e-mail and Web site copyright issues. For some reason, as with many things online, there is this incorrect perception that anything goes. However, many are finding out the hard way that when it comes to protecting creative collateral, copyright is law. And, copyright laws can and are being enforced online.

No, I am not an attorney. Nor do I play one on T.V. But I can help you avoid potential problems based on guiding clients for over a decade. Hopefully, this effort will help others from finding out the hard way that copyright is alive and well online.

1) "I can right clïck, save anything online and use it how I wish."
This is a perfect example of just because you can doesn't mean you do! Those graphics or files were created by someone out there. They legally attained the copyright upon that file's creation. Without their specific permission to use that file or graphic, you have no right to just take it and use it as you please. Always ask a site owner before you illegally swipe anything off their site.

2) "As long as I note the author's name, I can use their site's content on my site."

Although you are being nice and giving credït where credït is due, you still need to ask the author's permission to post their work on your site. The author may not want their information posted anywhere off their own site or they many not approve of your site as a venue for their information - that is their choice to make not yours. Always ask a site owner if you can use their content before you put it on your site.

3) "I can link to graphics on other sites so that they display on my site."

O.K., maybe you didn't actually download the graphic and put it on your server, but if you are displaying someone else's work on your site without their permission the bottom line is still the same. And, you are using their server's resources to display something on your site. Shame on you!

4) "I can display pages from other's Web sites within frames on my site."

Many site owners prohibit their site pages from being framed within another site because it gives the impression that the other site created the information. Many times folks innocently do this so they don't have to send site visitors off their site for information they want to provide. Others do so to precisely give the impression it is content they created. A better option is to link to the information you like and create a new window to open when doing so to ensure your site is still available to your site visitors.

5) "If I only quote a portion of another site's content and link to them I do not need their permission."

Again, it would behoove you to have permission to do so. Using only portions allows you to possibly give the wrong impression about the author's overall content and this can be misleading at best. If you want to quote any written work in whole or part you need to ask permission to do so.

6) "If I pay someone to create graphics for my Web site, I own the copyright to those graphics."

Not necessarily. Unless your agreement with the graphic artist explicitly states that upon your payment all of their rights are then transferred to you, you most likely only have exclusive license to use those graphics. And to purchase the full copyright will cost you a bunch more than simple exclusivity!

Understand that the moment anything is created whether it be written or drawn, the creator owns the copyright, ­ that's the law. Over the years I've had clients claim they own copyright just because they paid me to create this or that. It simply, legally, is not the case (and my contract(s) clearly state this - including their option to purchase my copyright if they so choose).

Copyright can only be transferred in a written legally binding agreement signed by the creator of the work stating they are transferring their rights to you. Saying you own it because you paid for it doesn't make it lëgal fact. If you do not have a written agreement specifically transferring the copyright to you, you do not own the copyright to those graphics.

7) "E-mail is not copyright protected once it is sent."

E-mail is a written work that once created is copyright protected by the author. This means you cannot post publicly an e-mail sent to you privately. You cannot post private e-mails to your site, to message boards or to your blog without the author's specific permission to do so.

Just because an e-mail was sent to you as a private communication does not mean you then own it and can do with it what you like. In addition, e-mail that is posted to a group of people, on a mailing list or Newsgroup does not make the e-mail available for reposting, copying, or any other use - not without the express and written consent of the writer.

What's the bottom line with online copyright?

Courtesy! Don't assume that you can use, repost or take anything you find online simply because you can. Be a courteous Netizen and always ask first!

You might be interested to find a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) page and policy statement on your ISP and hostïng provider's Web sites to handle complaints and reports of the above types of copyright abuse. Take some time to read that information and make yourself aware of your rights and make sure you do not infringe on others. The main resource for all the lëgal mumbo jumbo on online copyright and the DMCA is on the Government's site at http://www.copyright.gov.

Again, I am not an attorney nor am I providing lëgal advice. I hope I've informed you of some of the issues that need to be seriously considered by all who are online whether they are creating their own or using others creative or written works.

About The Author
Judith Kallos is an authoritative and good-humored Technology Muse. Check-out her new book: "Because Netiquette Matters! Your Comprehensive Reference Guide to E-mail Etiquette and Proper Technology Use" at BecauseNetiquetteMatters.com.

Feel free to post any questions you may have... it's suprising just how many people are confused on the issue of copyrighted material on the net.

Faken

#2 Gio

Gio

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:05 PM

2) "As long as I note the author's name, I can use their site's content on my site."

Although you are being nice and giving credït where credït is due, you still need to ask the author's permission to post their work on your site. The author may not want their information posted anywhere off their own site or they many not approve of your site as a venue for their information - that is their choice to make not yours. Always ask a site owner if you can use their content before you put it on your site.

Hope you asked her faken :)

#3 ludwigw

ludwigw

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Designer at Lee ter Wal.

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:24 PM

Thats great news :) I still own the Copyright on all the sites I made :( Thanks Faken -- ove the articles you provide

EDIT: Does this mean I need permission to use quotes off websites for assignments even thought they are in my Bibliography?

#4 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:33 PM

Hope you asked her faken :)

These articles are free to reprint as long as the author's name and "About the author" sections are inlcuded :( I myself have written a few articles that were for open distribution.

Faken

#5 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:35 PM

Thats great news :) I still own the Copyright on all the sites I made :( Thanks Faken -- ove the articles you provide

EDIT: Does this mean I need permission to use quotes off websites for assignments even thought they are in my Bibliography?

I believe for scholastic work, you do not, but if you use quotes, trademarks etc... for use in a profit oriented application, permission from the author or trademark holder is required. You can do some research at copyright.org to be sure.

Faken

#6 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

So hypothetically, if I include a small "Designed by Jaymz" notice on a template that I make someone, do they have legal authority to remove it?

#7 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:46 PM

so cause you made it in the first place

#8 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

Great article, shame not too many take notice of copyrights anymore.

#9 mgnus

mgnus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

I dunno for sure if i'm right or wrong, but i've done some reading and i believe that if someone creates a graphic for you or code for you and its for money, in the US its considered work for hire and the copyright goes to the perspective client. Thats the way i read it.

#10 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

I dunno for sure if i'm right or wrong, but i've done some reading and i believe that if someone creates a graphic for you or code for you and its for money, in the US its considered work for hire and the copyright goes to the perspective client. Thats the way i read it.

It depends, if you were doing work for a company, the business entity retains copyright. For example, if I worked for P2L, an incorperated business, and designed something for a paying client, P2L retains the copyright unless expressly stated in a contract :love:

#11 mgnus

mgnus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:21 AM

ya lol :lol: thanks for the article. I never knew that email was copyrighted! ;)

#12 Prototype

Prototype

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

Yes, I have an inquiry. As some of you may have noticed that there are plenty of game sites out there, now these game developing companies pay artist to make a wallpaper or a poster for their games (as a promotional piece). And well these game “renders” are being used all over the net on game fan site, community sites etc. or even something as simple as someone’s signature. Now just to clarify can someone elaborate on the rules and restrictions using video/pc game images?

- Thanks ;)

#13 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:03 AM

Yes, I have an inquiry. As some of you may have noticed that there are plenty of game sites out there, now these game developing companies pay artist to make a wallpaper or a poster for their games (as a promotional piece). And well these game “renders” are being used all over the net on game fan site, community sites etc. or even something as simple as someone’s signature. Now just to clarify can someone elaborate on the rules and restrictions using video/pc game images?

- Thanks ;)

They all have copyrights on them, some or the very rare few you can use for personal use, make sure the site is legitimate.

Years ago artists used to allow their work to be used to make web sites/calling cards/sig banners (referring to well known artists) they were abused and people started selling the templates with the artists images so it was stopped, some still allow this with written permission providing its only personal or educational learning use and no commercial sites. (If your site makes or sells anything including ad revenue its commercial)

My advice from experience if unsure contact the original artist and get written permission from them that way your safe.

Theres a heap of info available on copyrights, this is just one article that just makes easy reading.

#14 Prototype

Prototype

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

They all have copyrights on them, some or the very rare few you can use for personal use, make sure the site is legitimate.

Years ago artists used to allow their work to be used to make web sites/calling cards/sig banners (referring to well known artists) they were abused and people started selling the templates with the artists images so it was stopped, some still allow this with written permission providing its only personal or educational learning use and no commercial sites. (If your site makes or sells anything including ad revenue its commercial)

My advice from experience if unsure contact the original artist and get written permission from them that way your safe.

Theres a heap of info available on copyrights, this is just one article that just makes easy reading.

Thank you for the respond.

That info helped. ;)

#15 Hacker-X

Hacker-X

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

thanks for that article Faken, i too didn't know that Email was copyrighted, very helpful indeed, and it is a shame that no one really cares about copyrights... people get made at me cuz i say you can't edit this image but you can use it on your site

#16 Sebastian

Sebastian

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:50 AM

Email isn't copyrighted in my country, so I have the right to publish what the hell someone sends to me.

Edit: I may as well quote someone elses work, if it serves my point or something.

Edited by Sebastian, 24 June 2005 - 05:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users